Friday, September 25, 2009

Love

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 (New International Version)


Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.

When I first met my husband he had these words posted on his bathroom mirror so that everytime he looked into it, he read these words. Somtimes I wonder if I even come close to this type of love. In all honesty, I am not always patient or kind. I'm envious at times. I boast and I am prideful. I can too easily be rude, and I feel as if I'm almost always self-seeking. I am angered by my enemies, and I keep a record of wrongs. I do rejoice in the truth but I'm not too far from evil. I always want to protect but hardly ever trust. I do hope, and my love does perserve through hard times. The Lord's love never fails.

I am humbled at how far I have come, but oh so far I still have to go.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

During dating, my husband and I took a break at one point, and though we both tested other waters [with complete failure] I was always so very curious about his experience with interacting with other women, and no detail was ever enough, we finally agreed these things didn't matter. But I found no matter how annoyed I got at him for not telling me everything, I wanted to keep the things I went through private, and he never cared. This day I wonder why he could care so little, when I cared so much, it's very odd to me.

Over time I've found that there are more important things to worry about, but it still crossed my mind. But I try to ignore it and simply remind myself we love eachother, always have, despite any distance or curiosity. I guess no matter how old we get, or how long we are with someone, there is always growing to do.

Sarah said...

I also should add, none of us are ever far from evil. We all have thoughts and even actions that are not flattering, nor do they really glorify our beliefs. But we all have imperfections, we are human, we can only do our best.

Unknown said...

Sarah, thank you so much for sharing this with me. I think in our culture/society as a woman we are constantly in comparison of one another. We are also detail driven and enjoy knowing all the information.

My husband has shared a great deal of his experiences thats he's had with other women, so much so that its probably left me comparing myself to those he had loved in his past. I'd rather have not had so much info. I'd rather not heard so many stories or helped him grow through so much pain, for the women of his past have become women of my life and therefore I must love them or hate them. I try to love. :)

Sarah said...

I know what you mean. But I think though our knowledge may have egged it on a bit, we'll always compare ourselves to something or someone as we strive for perfection.

I hope all is well, it's pouring down rain here, I wasn't sure if you guys had any issues with flooding or any of your family. It's been rough.

Anonymous said...

We all have far too go but as long as we keep traveling that road with God then we on the right path. Karen

Unknown said...

Sarah, our house didnt flood! Which really is huge!!!!