Thursday, December 10, 2009

Mad Momma

I am trying to remain positive. I am trying to be upbeat and remember the fact that my baby girl is happy and healthy. BUT, I had a moment yesterday that has left me like a turtle out of my shell.

I took Maddie into the doctor's office yesterday because 1. she's had a runny nose, horseness, and cough off and on for two weeks, and, 2. she threw up Tuesday @ school and was pretty much banned for the day anyway. When we arrived I explained to the doctor how I've been calling in for the last two weeks, talking to the nurse about what to do about Maddie's barking cough, i.e. what I thought was to be croup. We had actually gone in to see the doctor three weeks ago and so rather than just going back again and again, I would call to see what they thought was the best course of action.

I was told twice, 2 x's, to give my baby a steriod for croup, and it wasn't until this last time that the nurse told me to come in, if and only if, she got it again. The doctor was mad and explained to me that my child should NOT have been given this steriod for two weeks, first without being seen, and secondly because the steriod can cause serious damage to her internal organs.
I was scared, and I then I was pissed.

I didn't go to medical school, therefore I rely on those who did/do to make the right choices for my family. I was shocked that someone was feeding me dangerous information, fatal even, and that no one did a checks and balance on what phone calls are made to patiences, and what is being prescribed.

Maddie is fine. And by fine meaning ok, but she was still a bit horse with a crackling cough yesterday. The doc. assures me it will go away in a week or so, and when I pushed the fact that she's had the barking cough off and on three times now, she mentioned Maddie may have asthma.

*sighs*


I will not be calling in again. Any advice is welcomed.

8 comments:

Abbey Road said...

I can't believe they just called her in some steriods. They never call me in anything, even when I know whats wrong with my child. I usually don't waste my time on the nurses. If I am concerned enough to call, then I'm just going to go ahead and make an appointment. Plus, the times that I have talked to the nurses, they've just said to come in anyway.
Good luck mama!

Michelle said...

Has anyone suggested a breathing machine?

My brother and I both had asthma pretty seriously and it left us open for a lot of lung infections. Also, I got bronchitis and strep at least three or four times a year when I was small.

The breathing treatments really helped and they are pretty safe and natural. At least, the ones my brother and I received. I don't know what they are like now. We rented it from the hospital. I remember feeling so much better after lying on the couch with my mask on for a half an hour- and we got a sucker afterward too! :)

I hope Maddie gets to feeling better. I am sorry you are having such a hard winter. I know my mom still talks about how stressful winter was for her- with me especially. I was sick ALL THE TIME- plus I had terrible allergies- plus the medicine I received for my asthma made me extraordinarily hyper- once, I was up for 48 hours straight. And someone had to be up with me. And, of course, it was her.

Mamas are totally superheros.

Mellissa said...

Oh honey! That just stinks! That is precisely why I don't generally place any trust in our medical model in the US; it's flawed. Check and double check EVERYTHING! NO matter what credentials they have.

1)Do you have a humidifier running in her room at nite? I would think that would help tremendously. Run it every nite until she clears up. 2) find a chiropractor who has experience with kiddos and get her adjusted. It is remarkable what a difference that makes! (yes, even with asthma) 3)see if you can connect with a holistic practicioner, such as a naturpath dr on this website: http://www.holisticmoms.org 4)know that we are praying for you and for Maddie to heal completely without any damage to her lungs.

Unknown said...

Thanks, all for your love and words. *hug* This really was/is a stressful time right now.

Maddie seems to have cleared up. Michelle, the doc said we might do breathing treatments if this comes back in a few weeks. She said the meds in those are much safer since they dont actually enter the bloodstream as the steriod that I gave her does.


Mellissa, I've been thinking of a Chiropractor. I went to one for years and have taken both my boys. Maybe it's time for Maddie to go as well. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Miss. C said...

I have always loved the fact that our doctor would call something in for us and didn't make us come in. I hated to drage them out when not feeling well and expose my kids to all the other germs in the office when their immunce system was low at the time cuz they were sick. It has saved us money by not having an office visits and as a parent you kind of learn the pattern of your children's health. You quickly learn the signs of an ear infection, sinus infection, etc. My rule of thumb is to always check with the pharmacy about the meds and I am geek, I read the inserts they come with too.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience with the doctor's office. What ever doctor "approved" the script to be called in should have looked at the chart.

Hope everyone is healthy for the Holiday!!!

Abbey Road said...

Oh yeah Toni, if you end up having to do breathing treatments, ask the doctor if she can have an inhaler with a space chamber instead. I did breathing treatments with both the boys when they got broncilitis, but when Norah got it a month or so back, we did the inhaler instead. It worked so much better and took way less time. It's a little more expensive (at least it was for me with the insurance we have), but way worth it.

Unknown said...

Abbey,
thanks for the advice, the dr. did mention an inhaler. And now RSV is going around her room, I'm so hoping we already are having it, since I have a cold myself, or that we wont get it at all.

The Grasshoppa:Triplets Plus Two Momma said...

Hi there. Our first daughter was misdiagnosed as having the croup for a long time before I got the right doc who finally diagnosed her correctly with asthma.

It is cough varient asthma and she is 16 now and grew out of it mostly by the time she was in middle school.

My middle triplet also has it. It is very manageable and once you get the hang of things, is really nothing to be overly concerned about.

An ounce of prevention goes a long way with this type of asthma. If I catch it in time and start his treatments, we do well avoiding the steriods.

Trust your gut. If you don't feel like they are getting to the bottom of it, I would go see another doc.

Best wishes.