Sunday, January 17, 2010

My Mission

Below is an assignment for one of my classes. We are to journal through out this semester. I like the idea and wanted to share it here as well.

What is my mission?


I haven't spent much time thinking about my mission. The first thought that comes to mind is to make a different in a child's life. That's my ultimate goal in what I do everyday. Could I narrow down that goal? Yes, but if I did so I would end up making it an individualized goal based on each of my students. They are so different and unique that I'm not sure a straight arrow, word for word goal would reach them all, but making a difference is possible, do able.


What is it that students will learn from being in my class?


This again is so individualized. I can hope that some will learn to recognize letters, that they will increase their vocabulary, build friendships, recognize social guidelines (acceptable behavior), meet their biological needs (toliet training, and communication of wants and needs), and overall grow from where we all started in August.


What do I want them to take away with them at the end of the class/semester/year?


I want each of my kids to know that they are loved and special. I want them to know they can succeed. I want them to feel accomplishment and joy in their day to day interaction with me and the other classroom staff. I want them to leave my room feeling as if they can take on this world and make it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said Karen

Sandy said...

That's great!

I came by to welcome you to SITS! It's great to have you in the SITStahood!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Karen and Sandy!