Monday, November 4, 2013

Women and Weights


I've shared with you about the call that lead to my knowledge of my high cholesteral. Since then I've had one other check in with my doctor.We discussed foods, weight loss, and fitness. I was suprised and excited to hear him ask about weight training. I explained that yes, I was planning to add more weight training to my cardio workouts and he shook his head in agreement. His next statement went something like this, "and don't be scared to use heavy weights. I mean, really heavy weights. You wont bulk up but the muscles built will help to burn calories."
 
 
I know many women who are worried that if they lift heavy weights they will put on large amounts of muscle and weight. Now, it's true that muscle weighs more than fat but it also looks quiet different on the body. Two people may weigh the same yet have different measurements based on muscle vs. fat. Honestly, I'd rather weight 10 to 15 pounds heavier and yet know that my body was healthy with msucle mass rather than clogged with fat. I kind of have a grossed out image of fat in my body.
 
 
Ok, so anyway, the reason {most} women will not bulk up like men do when they lift weights is simply do to our level of testosterone. It's the hormone that the body uses to build muscle. Yes, we all have testosterone within the body, but men have more, therefore they are capable of producing larger muscles.

In my opinion, there is no downside to adding reistance training. It helps build bone, muscle, burn calories, and overall helps to give the body a lean, trim, healthy look. Most programs recommend two to three days of weight training per week. I like to switch mine up between a day of running and a day of circuit training {moving quickly through a session of weight training with a short rest period between different exercises}. And, I can already tell a difference in my strength and body after roughly 3 months of consistent strength training. For more information check out this article on Strength Training for Beginners and enjoy your weights!
 
Like this post? Vote for me and Pin It
 

No comments: