Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Smoothie Kind Rocks My Little Toe!

I found out this morning that my sister-in-law is taking a class to get her GED, and I'm super proud of her.

I really think that the fact that I was in school practically the whole time my oldest son was in elementary/middle school, that it has shaped his idea of higher education. He has spent his high school career planning which classes he should take to better prepare him for college.

Now, I've never drilled it into his head that he was going to college, but it has been a big part of my life, like I said, through out his very formative years. He is even taking advanced classes to get college credit for them and plans on attending Ga. Tech. to be an Engineer. Ga. Tech being a a great school to get into. Again, I'm proud. :)

So, anyway, I love learning and I've always enjoyed being a student. It's something I'm good at and I hope to always be capable of educated myself further through life. That being said, I now turn to my hubby.

When I met Sean he was recovering from a broken relationship. Just after a few months of knowing him, he began working on his bachlors degree which really geared me up and got me involved with my Masters. Since I was currently working at my school, I switched my major from psychology to special education and havent looked back since. :)

Anyway, when my mom passed away Sean was there to help me and the boys. A semester was finishing up and he asked me if I wanted him to continue on with school or take a break and help me. I remember that whole scene and how it played out. My family had all gone back to Memphis and I really felt completely alone...I asked him to take a break. He did and he's never returned back to finish his degree.

Our lives picked up pretty quickly after that. We moved in together, staying in separate rooms for the boys sake, but we were dating. We then moved into his parent's home and took over the payments. A year later, after talking about it a great deal, Sean decided it was time for us to marry, but due to a complication with a previous marriage of mine, our local courthouse wasnt going to give me my marry lincense. I worked for about 4 months on getting things straighted out and when the opportunity came open for us to go to another state, we jumped on the idea and were married the very next day. :) It was then a month and a half later that I was pregnant with Maddie, and life has been busy ever since.

Ok, so again, going back to Sean, I always felt guilty for him leaving school. He actually used the money he was to pay for his classes to help support me, which left him with a hold, meaning he must remain the money before returning back to school. Now, step back to a few weeks ago when I was looking for a car title through our file box and there, back in the very back, was a file of Sean's exgirlfriends. There were love notes, dear john letters, and a list of goals.

The one that sticks out the most for me is that Sean wanted to take the time and make himself into the man that women knew he could be. I was so touched when I read his words. And then today it hit me, I wanted to give back to Sean what he'd given me: support, love, understanding, and the ability to complete my goals. I want to give Sean the opportunity to return to school and finish his degree. I plan on filing some papers, seeing if he will qualify for any assistance, and then possibily enrolling him in a class, all as his birthday surprise. What do you think? Oh, well, I dont care what you really think, I'm just so darn excited about that idea I could scream. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have to be nosey and ask some ? How many more semesters does he have left until he can graduate? What is his major? If he can't get assistance did he get some refund money that could help? And finally, I think it is a wonderful, generous, thoughtful and loving gift. Karen

Unknown said...

Im not sure how many semesters he has left. He was, at one time, to graduate in '08, but that was a few years ago.

His major is psychology with a business minor.

Nope, no refund money, but once we pay off the hold then he can file for his vetrans check which will pay for school.

I kept wanting to tell him about it yesterday, but I'd really like to see what I can get done first and then if I cant keep it to myself then I'll have all the info that he'll probably ask about. :)

I'm excited, too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan :) karen