Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Medela Breast Pump Review



I've been using the Medela Symphony Breast Pump for almost two months now, and I think its time for me to rave about it's results.

Let me first start at the beginning, around 7 months ago I began using the Avent hand held breast pump. I'd used it with my second child and felt very confident that it would do the job with my new baby. However, babies nurse differently. :) My second son was a crazy-boob-baby. He nursed every 2 hours, loved it, and I'm sure dreamed about nursing when he wasnt. He had a great latch, and so my body understood the high demand for breastmilk and complied.

With my new baby girl, well, she seems a bit more delicate and only seems to want the nipple when it comes to nursing. I was worried about her latch from the beginning but continued to be reassured that everything was fine by my midwife, and yet month after month my supply continued to go down. I fretted over giving up completely or just supplementing half her bottles with formula. I also tried another pump, a Playtex electric but sadly received the same results.

It was then I began calling around to local hospitals asking if they rented out breast pumps. I figured if a hospital stood behind a product, well, maybe then it'd do a good job, and I was right. Medela is very well known among the maternity wards, and it just so happened that they were all sold out except for one, the Medela Symphony. Now, I've priced this model and have recently seen it as high as $1250, yet I think most stores carry it for $300 - $500. I was torn over buying the machine so instead opted for a $78/month rental.

I took it home and began pumping right away. Within a few days my supply had gone from 3 oz to 5 from each breast and has remained there today. I love the dial pumping setting as well as the let down phase. The machine actually mimics the action of a nursing baby, therefore, allowing your body to naturally produce milk. Even though I turn my Medela to the highest setting, it's always comfortable, and it's never taken me longer than 10 minutes to get the supply I need. And now my baby girl is happy, with a full tummy, with a Momma who is able to ensure she's receiving only the best. Thanks, Medela, for making a product that's dependable and works. :)

If there's a product you'd like for me to reivew, email me @ tjadin05@yahoo.com

14 comments:

TCockman said...

so sorry you had to wait to find out that info! i could have told you that a long time ago! always rent from the hospital they have the best!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Tiffany, how many names do you have on Blogger??? :)

Anonymous said...

Hey if you haven't listened to the song I mentioned it your previous post please do and let me know what you think. Karen

Michelle said...

I am using the Medela Lactina Select- we rented it from the hospital too. So far pumping has been going really smoothly. Since Liam is only taking 1 cc of breast milk every 4 hours (and is sometimes not taking any since he is having some tummy issues) the freezer is FULL of me-juice. Ha, ha. The lactation consultant at Parkridge seemed really surprised at how quickly my milk came in. I am just happy one thing is going easily.

The only thing that is confusing is how do I make my supply go up later? I pump every 3 hours for 15 minutes... and I am not sure how this is going to affect actual breastfeeding later.

Mellissa said...

I have the Medela backpack electric model and LOVE it!

Michelle, your body will increase supply as your son nurses more. It takes 2-3 days for the body to adjust to supply demands. Also, to set your body up for successful milk makin' be sure to get at least 70 grams of protein every day (just like when you were pg) and drink 3 liters of water. If you still need more milk makin help there are great herbs to take. I also drink 4-5 cups of Yogi brand Woman's Nursing Mom tea. My son is 9.5 months old and I still pump 10-12 oz when I am at work and he still nurses ALOT! (so much in fact, that i still haven't had the return of my cycle!) Way to go on the stored milk! You will love having such a big stash! When you do get your cycle back, those weeks you bleed your supply will be lower and it'll be nice to have the milk in the freezer!

TCockman said...

i was anonymous until i realized i had an account and then it came up hcockman and i said hey that's not really me so i changed it to tcockman! ;)

Unknown said...

Mellissa,
I didnt realize menstration lowered milk supply, but tis true, estrogen will do it :)

Michelle,
I agree with EVERYTHING Mellissa has said. :) I actually can tell a different if I dont get enough water in for the day. My morning ritual is to drink 24oz pretty much when I first get up and this brings another one to two ozes as I later pump.

And congrats on all the milk! You are very blessed in that department, I've struggled a great deal this year over mine. :)

Michelle said...

Thanks Toni- I wish we could leave a dinosaur with Liam but they won't let you put anything in his isolette. One of my best friends bought the softest little organic dino for him the day after he was born. It is probably twice his size but super cute- plus I have a sweet little dino blanket that I would like him to have... but the rules are that anything left in the NICU is wrapped in plastic and kept "somewhere near your baby's crib." So if we did that it would really only serve a sentimental purpose- so that we could tell him he had it in the hospital with him.

And I am still a little confused about the time before Liam starts nursing. He won't be at the breast for a while... but he has already climbed from 1 cc ever 8 hours to 3 ccs every 4 hours (as of yesterday, yay!) and if all goes well that will be more and more- but I am still just pumping 15 min. every 3 hours. Should I increase my pumping or... what?

Unknown said...

Michelle,
How much are you pumping at 15 minutes? If you increase your time there is a good chance it will increase your supply. Is there anyway you can get a recording of him fussing/crying or maybe pump while in the NICU with him? Just being around him, hearing his cries or smelling him will impact your supply positvely.

And, way to go for Liam upping his feedings! Praise, God!!! I was concerned for his little tummy. :)

Also, there is a book by Dr. Sears on breastfeeding, I havent read it, but I know it talks a great deal about the subject and may help you with any other questions.

Just remember yuor supply is also connected to your fluids, proteins, and health. But, it seems everything is working very well. :)

And lastly, personally, I'd up the time or up the times you pump. Rather than wait 3 hours why not pump every 1.5 or every 2 hours. You may not seem to get as much as at a time but it will increase within a few days.

Michelle said...

Thank you for the advice!

Anonymous said...

Nice story as for me. I'd like to read a bit more concerning that theme. Thank you for posting that information.

Anonymous said...

nice article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice place you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Hilary Hakkinen

Anonymous said...

Hello thr, htanx a lot for tthiss article .. This is what I was looking for.