Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It's Just So Sad

It just breaks my heart that Jeremy has such a hard time with his reading. I want to just hide away and cry for the boy but instead I become quiet, frustrated even, and withdrawl to a point. What do you say to your child who can't read well enough to understand his directions, to complete his homework, or to take tests?

I am amazed he has made it this far. He has great reasoning skills and tries to decifer the correct answer even without understanding half the words in a sentence. His math skills are great, but it's his overall attitude about it all that has me floored. He defintily becomes frustrated at times, but he never seems to be down on himself for it. He never seems to internalize the issue and view it as a personal failure.

Jeremy is one cocky kid and it seems it's more a gift than a true hinderance. He'll make his way, it may be a bumping road at times, but he'll keep his chin up the whole way, I know.

I've formally written a request to have him assessed. It may take several weeks but I truly believe he requires more help to succeed. Keep him in your prayers, please.

8 comments:

Mama2Monkeys said...

i hope he gets a little help~ it may be all he needs to overcome it.

good luck mama

Shannon said...

Have you tried read along cds? Junior had trouble too, but it became easier if he could listen to the cassettes while he read along. He was later diagnosed as having ADD (I don't totally agree with that), but he was much better at testing when the did it orally, rather than written. Luckily, his school had that program available to him. He's now 22, but back then we used LeapPad and the like to help him out. You might see what is available now!

Blessings!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments! Yes, I do hope he can get some help with testing...I think his comprehension would be better if it was read to him rather than him trying to it himself...at least for now.

Mellissa said...

You are doing a great thing in staying on top of his learning difficulties and having him assessed. Know that he and you are both in my prayers! Hugs!!!

Tertia said...

There is nothing worse for a mom than to know her child has a problem she can not fix. I am sure that something can be done to help him in this day and age. I will add you to my prayer list and I pray that it takes days, not weeks to have him assessed and to get him the help he needs.

Anonymous said...

We will be praying about it. You might want to find a hooked on phonics kit (try craigslist). If reading is the main issue you might need to go back to the basics to build up that foundation. Karen

Anonymous said...

or ebay :)

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your words and prayers. We received his report card yesterday and the reading is now really taking a tole in the math area as well.

We'll get through. Jeremy's got a great personality, and all things are possible with God.