Friday, May 14, 2010

Pain and Forgiveness

Something very painful happened to me today. Words were said in regards to me breastfeeding my daughter, and they hurt, badly. My husband suggested I forgive the offender; I suggested she didn't deserve to be forgiven....

I said those words and immediately my soul cried out in anguish, for I have never deserved to be forgiven either. I know I have caused pain and yet I ask, nightly, for the good Lord to forgive me...as I have forgiven. Below is the Lord's Prayer, the same prayer that I pray with my son, Jeremy, every night, hoping he will learn it and place it deep within his heart.

Yes, it's definitly hard to forgive those whom have hurt us, but if I expect the good Lord to do it for me, then I must make a great effort to do it for others.


Our Father, who art in heaven,

Hallowed be thy Name.

Thy kingdom come.

Thy will be done,

On earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses,

As we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation,

But deliver us from evil.

For thine is the kingdom,

and the power,

and the glory,

for ever and ever.

Amen.

4 comments:

Heidi - D said...

I agree. You should forgive the offender. I believe that ignorant people say ignorant things, and really - we should pity them. What was said to you today was ignorant.

YOU are the mommy. YOU know what you're doing. ONLY YOU know what is best for your babies. Deep breath, shrug it off, move on. (easier said than done... I know)

Hugs to you my dear! I am sorry that today brought you pain.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Heidi. *hug*

Anonymous said...

Proud of you gurl! It takes courage and strength to forgive those who hurt us. You've come along way and I'm proud of you. Keep your head up and don't let what she said kick you down, let it kick you forward. Love you.

Mellissa said...

Oh that stinks! That type of comment, about something so intimate, so special and such a bond (soooo much more than nutrition!) hurts so much. Yes you need to forgive, but I understand the human reaction to fight back. Good of you to forgive. :-) p.s. Griffin is 16 months this week and we are still nursing. Keep the head up, there are still other mommas out there who "nurse too long" in some people's eyes. Love to you!