Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Stuffed Bell Peppers

So I used a new recipe from http://www.sparkpeople.com/ to create some de-lish stuffed bell peppers. Below is the recipe...enjoy!

Stuffed Bell Peppers:
Ingredients
4 large green bell peppers
1 cup of cooked brown rice
1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes (with italian seasoning is better)
tomato sauce - enough to cover the bottom of a casserole dish
2 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste



Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place in a casserole dish - the bottom of the dish should be covered with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
In a pan, add canola oil and sautee the onions until translucent (5-7 minutes). Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the ground turkey and brown.

In a large bowl, combine the cooked ground turkey, brown rice, and diced tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Scoop mixture into each bell pepper half.

Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. If desired, uncover, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top, and bake an additional 5 minutes.

Number of Servings: 4

Nutritional Info:
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 296.2
Total Fat: 8.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 998.3 mg
Total Carbs: 30.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.2 g
Protein: 24.4 g
I wasn't too keen on the texture of the turkey, and I did use some left over spaghetti sauce from the previous night, to which left my husband with a sad face because he enjoys the left over spaghetti so much. I also ended up adding ketchup to my plate for a more sweet tomato flavor. Ketchup has become my new best friend in my pasta dishes. Overall, next time I'm gonna throw some spaghetti sauce together, add brown rice, and then throw it all into the bell peppers. I will give the turkey another try simply due to the fact that it's healthier than ground beef.
3 out of 5 stars for me!

No comments: