Friday, January 21, 2011

Being A Parent

As a parent, I want to teach my kids how to work and grow in this world. I want them to be confident in their skills and abilities to be independent as well as dependent on their community, in the fact of understanding how to ask for help when it's needed.

This weekend Jeremy learned how to make a cup of coffee. And he did. Sunday morning {1/9} he came into the kitchen, pulled out a cup, and made himself a cup of coffee. I was stunned and impressed. :) He then asked me to make him a grilled cheese sandwhich. Now, I don't feel comfortable turning the stove over to him just yet, but he's been working on doing a bit of cooking. So, we started on another cooking opportunity.

It seems spreading butter is a skill he just doesn't have down yet. I try to do hand-over-hand to give him the light feel of spreading the knife, and with more experience, I'm sure he'll get the hang of it. I had him pretty much make the whole meal: buttering the bread, placing it in the skillet, cheese, another buttered piece of bread, and he even turned it. I was right there to offer help and to explain to him when he could tell it was time to flip it (when the butter begins to melt on the top piece of bread).

He even cut it into 4's himself!! And, let's also not forget the clean up. He did it all. What a boy!

I may not be the best parent, and I may over look a great deal of teaching opportunities, but on the moments that I catch it and do it right, I love the experience with my kids. :)

What about you, what moments do you recall when you made a difference in knowing and doing with your kids?

Photobucket 

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments: