Monday, February 21, 2011

Parenting Tip 101: In My Opinion, Pick a Cup and Stick with It

I pride myself on being an educated parent, but sometimes I simply forget about common sense. When it came to feeding my baby girl, I was all about the research and therapy, i.e. bottles to sippy cups to straws/open lid cups. But here's the thing, we started with this:


and Maddie did great, but once we had the whole tilting my cup up idea, it was time to switch to something more mature, letting go of that sucking method used with this cup, and settling in to using a straw:


and she's done great with it! The only problem comes into play when we switch back and forth. I'll look over and the poor girl is titling the straw cup up, like in the old says with the sippy, and she's whining and fussing cause she isn't getting anything. I'm constantly reminding her, "hold it down, hold it down.." I think we're ultimately gonna have to toss the old sippies and only use the straw. It's great for strengthening those muscles around the mouth, which also influences speech, and, it's just one more step closer to drinking from an open lid. I know she can do an open cup, but lord help us, she'd never have a nice shirt if we started it up right now. :)

What about you? Do you stick with one type of sippy? Do you bounce around? Does your kid even care??




Photobucket 

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

5 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely blog!! now a follower.

have a great week ahead..

caroline
http://turknoy.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

lovely blog!! now a follower.

have a great week ahead..

caroline
http://turknoy.blogspot.com

Tough Cookie Mommy said...

Hi, Toni. Thanks for participating in the Monday Mingle at ToughCookieMommy.com and for following. I look forward to seeing you back every Monday. Make sure you enter my current giveaway. I will be choosing 3 winners to receive coupons for full sized bottles of Purex Complete Crystals Softener.

Mommy 2.0 said...

Argh! Sippie cups. We have a couple of different styles, and they all seem to leak. They give you a false sense of security that you can let your kid have them on her own, but then you end up cleaning up a big mess anyway.

Anyway, found you through Monday Mingle and I am your newest follower. Hope you get a chance to stop by Mommy 2.0. Have a great monday!

LaShawn Wiltz said...

Pookah was sooo picky about his sippy cups! he likes the Nuby one for water and juice, but refuses to drink his milk from anything but a Buk sippy cup!