Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Recycling 101

I recently created a compost pile for my garden and without even giving it a second thought, I also began recycling paper and plastic products. I recycled as a child and was pretty anal about it. :) We had brown paper bags in our basement where we stored old newspapers til my stepdad could haul them off to who-knows-where. As a child, it never occurred to me where the paper went, I never seemed to care, it was as if I had done my good part and now it was time for others to take over.

I was a born delegator. :)

Anyway, below are a couple of tips, if you're interested, in making recycling easy and fun, to those who enjoy sorting and stacking, and making a different for future generations.

EASY RECYCLING TIPS

1. Find a convenient place to collect recyclable items. Most things come from the kitchen, making it a good spot to set up a recycling center.

2. The great thing about recycling is that it lets you put your favorite old containers, bins, or baskets to use. Assign containers for glass, plastic, and aluminum. To avoid messes, choose solid containers for storing items such as glass jars or cans that may have a sticky residue.

3. Take leftover plastic bags back to grocery stores where they are collected and reused to make plastic lumber.

4. Check the bottom of plastic items to identify what type of plastic they are. If the type is not recycled at your local center, consider ways to reuse the container.

5. Save water and time when recycling cans and bottles. You no longer need to rinse them out or remove their labels.

6. Recycle junk mail or reuse it as scratch paper. To opt-out of certain junk-mailing lists, go to opt-out.cdt.org.

7. Newspapers, magazines, and white paper can all be recycled as long as the paper is clean and dry. Plastic wrap, stickers, or rubber bands should be removed, but staples and plastic window envelopes are OK.

8. Recycle worn-out rechargeable batteries like those used in cell phones, computers, or power tools. Go to www.rbrc.org to find a drop-off location in your area.

9. Divvy up recycling duties among family members and sort items on a daily basis.

10. Print out [a] list of commonly recycled materials. Post it where you recycle for easy access.



Photobucket 

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

2 comments:

A Helicopter Mom said...

I'm a new follower from the Blog Hop! I'd love it if you would follow me back. :)

Thanks,
Mickey
www.ahelicoptermom.com

Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah said...

Those are great tips! Thank you so much for sharing. I am glad I can throw my envelopes in the recycle bin too.
Thanks for stopping by!
Lolo
www.crazyaboutmybaybah.com