Thursday, April 28, 2011

15 By June: A Jacked Up Knee Will Always Have It's Way With Me

First off, I must mention the unbelievable storms that moved through my area yesterday/last night. Not sure I've ever experienced so my emotional turmoil as we waited out over 12 hours of craziness. My area actually didn't really experience anything severe til around 10:00 p.m. and even with that it was only a severe thunderstorm rather than tornadoes, but earlier that morning I was hunkered down in the hall for about an hour with my class as a tornado touched down about 5 to 10 minutes from our school. While sitting with my kids on the concrete floor, my knee popped off track and ended up leaving me in pain for the rest of the day.

I ran Monday. It felt great. I loved it, but four days later I'm still nursing a bummed knee. I'm a bit saddened to admit that I'll be taking a break from it all. I suffered for months with pain and constant knee swelling while I ran, and I don't want that anymore. I want to enjoy my workouts and my recoveries. I plan on sticking with my spin classes, weight lifting, and then incorporating a nice walking program. Hopefully, over some time, I'll slowly build up to a nice run, but for right now, I gotta slow down.

In regards to the water challenge that I took last week, I did pretty well. I was at least more aware of my fluids, but did struggle at times with getting my 64 ounces in. Honestly, I'm simply looking to finishing this week up and hitting next week hard. It's definitely about doing what you can, making adjustments, and moving forward.

Like this post? Vote for me! 

1 comment:

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

That's so scary about the tornado touching down that close to your school! I'm so glad everyone is okay. We experienced the same storm system and luckily also narrowly missed the really severe stuff. But it was terrifying, I won't lie!

So sorry about your knee :(