Thursday, January 12, 2012

To The Beach, To The Beach!



A vacation I'd like to take this year is to the beach. It's the one item I wasn't able to cross off my bucket list for 2011 but more importantly is where family is AND where a race is held.

Nonna, Papa J, and my brothers are all down in the panhandle which makes a trip to the beach even more exciting, being with family is important, it reminds you of who you are, where you came from {it helps me to heal to see similarities between me and my dad, to understand how he influenced me}, and builds memories for the little ones to hold on to.

And...there's a race there that I've been thinking about for over a year now. I ran the Gate to Gate back in 2010 and I'd like to run it again. I ran it with my brother, Josh, and I've replayed that day over and over and over again when thinking about running. I want the chance to take those steps again. I want the chance to run those hills again. I want to know that I've spent my time and energy training for something, preparing my body for something that will require a great deal of effort. It's not just a time for me, it represents a collection of moments that would have been put together to represent a goal/dream I have. I fear once this baby gets here I'll be too exhausted to focus on myself, on my running and that I'll let fitness and my goals slip away. I don't want that...I want to run again. I need to run again. I need this race so that I can know that I'm not lost, that even with everything that goes on in my life I'm still able to hold on to a certain part of my identity. I'm still me. I can still be me.

So here's to the beach, to family, and to self....


Like this post? Vote for me! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh is running 6 miles in one hour now - show off :) Karen

Unknown said...

sounds good, definitely something I'll have to strive for :)

Mya Maternity said...

I'm excited for you to start running again. You definitely need to do things for yourself.

http://myamaternity.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks, Mya, I love the support!