Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dear Baby Soup: Week 39/40


I knew you would be born in a hospital. I knew this birth would be different from my last. I had wondered why we would need the hospital, would there be complications, would you be early? I think it's more that you're gonna need a little help getting here.

I've been walking around for almost a week now at 4 cm, no telling if I'm actually a little more than that by now. Each dr. visit I've gained at least 1 cm. My next appointment is tomorrow. My due date is Saturday. I wonder what we'll do.

I'm more concerned about meconium and the placenta. After you reach full term there's a chance you'll have a bowl movement while in utero and swallow some which can cause you to be sick, and toward the end of a pregnancy the placenta can just start to wear down and be less effective. I don't want you sick and I want to make sure I'm supplying you with the best nutrients and oxygen.

I've thought about asking to have my membranes stripped but this can simply lead to a couple days of contractions before labor actually begins and I feel like I've been living in that sort of transition for a month now. I wonder if we should start pitocin to help things along. I don't want to be strapped to a bed, I don't want to be strapped in by those belts, I want to be free to move to deal with the discomfort without begging for pain meds and increasing my chance of a c-section.

I'd love for you just to come naturally but honestly little one I'm not sure I have what it takes to wait. And it's not that I just want to hold you but it's that I'll let the fear build and then I'll convince myself I'm inducing for your good.

Oh, Lord, be with me....

Like this post? Vote for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

everything will be fine - even if it is a c section - all will be fine Phil 4:6-7 karen

Unknown said...

not sure anyone would want to be around me if someone mentioned I was to have a c-section...it would definitely throw me for a full loop that my emotional weakness would probably not handle. plain and simple I'd need a sedative but then again doc said he's just knock me out if I didnt have an epidural.

I dont even want to think about it.

Anonymous said...

praying extra hard it won't happen - karen

Mya Maternity said...

There are so many things that you are thinking about. Everything will be just fine and the way it is supposed to be. You will do great.

http://myamaternity.blogspot.com/