Friday, June 22, 2012

"When I Was A Kid..." Blah, Blah, Blah, You Are So Boring


Today's Summer Blog writing prompt is, "when you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?" It's a great prompt, and it'd be even better if I had some awesome, chilling, creative idea to follow it up, but I don't.

You see, when I was a kid, I wanted to be a teacher. My dad had brought home a teacher's english book and it had that great red ink it, you know the one, with the all the answers. I'm not sure where he got it from. He was a P.E. teacher at our local university and so what he was doing with an english book beats me but at the time, I really didn't care. I'd simply stand in front of my chalk board {the one that hung on the wall of my bedroom} and write lessons for my class. I remember I was a mean teacher. But anyway, there's no one here to really back up that thought so I'll just let it slide on with the rest of them.....

Years later, I decided to go to law school and become an attorney. It's interesting, my dad was the source of both of these ambitions. :) As a child I wanted to be like him, a teacher, and then after he left, I wanted to sue him for causing me so much pain. And that's the truth, and I wont repeat it again. Some childhood ideas are better left in a child's mind. :)

So, years and years and many years later, I finished college with my degree in psychology to only realize it offered nothing in the way of a career so I chose to go back to school to be what, you guessed it, a teacher. I majored in special education, an advocate for children with special needs. It's where my heart ultimately belongs, and even though it may sound boring to some, my days really are filled with great adventure and satisfaction. I may not physically wear a cape or really cool tights but deep down, it's gotta take superhuman strength to sing the itsy-bitsy-spider a dozen times to a group of preschoolers, especially to a group with such unique and special abilities as mine. :)



Like this post? Vote for me!
 
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are a wonderful teacher!

Sara said...

I love the path you took to become a special education teacher. It may not have been the straightest path, but if it got you to where you're meant to be then it's definitely worth it!