Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mamavation Monday: Belly Dancing

Mamavation MondayI'm excited to share that I've started taking a belly dancing class! I love it!!! 

My first class was very productive. We began by doing what many women do best, shopping. After checking out the merchandise we then grabbed our yoga mats and introduced ourselves. I'm taking the class with two other friends and overall there were 7 of us in class. 

The wall in front of us was all mirror so it took me a moment to get use to watching myself dance. Actually, I'm not really a dancer. I've never felt comfortable moving my body in public so when this opportunity came up, I was a bit surprised by myself that I jumped on it so quickly, but I'm so glad I did.

The class will last 5 to 6 sessions and then I'll probably move on to the next level. The class does participate in shows but it's not mandatory, just an option I may take on later.  Another great aspect of the class is the focus on this feminine strength and ownership of inner peace and stability. The idea that taking time for yourself is important and helps to build calmness and strength into your daily life. That, I like. :)

And, in regards to my running...I did a 6 mile walk this weekend, that brings me up to 29 miles for this month. My goal is to run/walk 40 miles this month..and, I think I just might get it done!

I hope all my Sistas are enjoying their week! 

We could possibly close on our house this Friday which is super exciting but I'm trying to not get my hopes up too high in case it takes a bit longer. It's not about what happens to you in life, it's about how you respond to it all....that's what I'm trying to work on. :)

Make it a great week!!!!

Like this post? Vote for me! 

8 comments:

Meagan said...

I always thought it would be fun to do a Belly Dancing class but I haven't gotten brave enough to do one yet. I know the Community College does one... Great job on the miles and fingers crossed on the house :)

Unknown said...

You should go for it...it's great!! And thanks for the crossed fingers!

kia said...

I joined a tribal belly dance troop when I was 27 since a friend was leading it. It was awkward for me to have to go to practice in front of a mirror but I did end up having a blast and performing with the ladies around town. Never say never about a performance ;)

Unknown said...

I've been thinking about signing up for belly dancing too. It sounds like so much fun, but it's way out of my comfort zone. I have to really think about it.

_emily_rose said...

I think it's great that you're taking belly dancing. I've always wanted to try, but I have never taken a class. Keep me posted on how your classes go, I might try it out!!

lydsrich said...

Belly dancing sounds like a lot of fun! And great job on the run!

mom27g said...

Wow... it looks like belly dancing is fun!!! I definitely think you will reach your 40 mile goal this month!! :)

Sue said...

You are setting a very good example for us all to have fun and take better care of ourselves.