Sunday, July 19, 2009

Times are a changin' :)

Sean and Maddie went on a long hike around the neighborhood yesterday and when they returned he started talking about gardening. My eyes lit up! I've wanted to do a garden here since we moved in but I realize how much work it is as well as my lack of knowledge. Anyway, maybe next year I'll be posting about our latest projects, "The Garden."

Also, during class last week we hit the recycling center in town since its located at Orange Grove, a center for children/adults with disabilities. Some of the clients work at the recycling center, which is a great opportunity for independence and such. :) Anyway, we did a little quick quiz on how long it takes everything to break down...hotdogs will look the same in 12 years as they do now...I love hotdogs. :(

So, we're starting with cans - aluminum - and we'll see where we go from there. :) Happy Sunday everyone!!

2 comments:

Mellissa said...

It's quite the shock to see what all the garbage adds up to isn't it? We just started recycling here. It's super easy, our garbage company gave us a huge 50 gallon barrel (on wheels) and we don't have to sort at all! just dump in cans, bottles, (glass, plastic, aluminum), cardboard and paper. It all goes away in one truck every other week. Next year I'd like to try making a compost bin in our yard for food waste.

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhhhh, Mellissa, what a blessing that is! Our city does it that way but we're not in the city so its seperating and off to the dump for us. I'm a little worried ours will just pile up and never get taken, thats where we're starting off slow and easy. If we keep it up, I'm gonna look into picking up some sort of bins so that I can just put them in the back of the car, easy to carry, and all.

Good luck on your compost pile. Keep me up to date on that one...I'd love to do it, but not sure I'd put all the effort in that was required. It'd definitly have to be a family project around here. :)