Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pregnancy Disgrace

As I was watching Glee tonight it was made apparent that pregnancy is a bit of a no-no when it comes to being a teenager.

I'm not sure why I'm surprised. Maybe its just my own past. Maybe its that I want to stand up and shout to the world, "I WAS AN UNWED PREGGO MOM AND I HAVE NO SHAME!"

Or do I?

Most of the time I dont even think about it. Most of the time it doesnt even bother me that the stereotype of teenage pregnancies are uneducated, low-income girls. But maybe it does.

Actually, yeah it does bother me. I've seen news reports, read articles, even been riducled myself because of being a teen mom. Yet, I have two degrees, working on my third. I support my family. My oldest son makes great grades, is taking college level classes in high school, and has in no way been negatively effected because his mom was only 16 when she had him.

My life may have been different from others. I may have circumstances that allows you to poke fun of, criticize, or judge, but I dont regret my decison one bit. I'd never give up what I have and nor will I be ashamed of my past.

I dont think my life will change the world or what most people think of teenage pregnancies, but I know what I have, I know what I've done, what my life is about, therefore I can finally give this issue a rest, hang it up, and just let it be.

No comments: