Saturday, January 22, 2011

What I Fear Most For My Children

When it comes to the safety of my children, I worry about the chemicals in our food and water, radiation from devices, and ignorance that continues to be spread like a plague (racism, sexism, etc). But my greatest fear is that my children will not experience a personal relationship with God.

Austin is searching and I know in my heart all his investigating and exploration will result in a true understanding of faith. Even though he and I disagree about what the truth is at the moment, I respect the fact that he is reviewing different ideas, and coming to his own conclusions rather than simply being lead blindly by my beliefs.

Now, I see nothing wrong with children being obedient and following the values and beliefs of their parents. This is a wonderful example of the way I'd love for things to be in my family, but let's face it people, I don't have all the answers, I'm still learning and growing as well, and, it's just as important for everyone to learn and grow, rather than simply ingesting ideas and thoughts without any personal consideration.

In the end, I hope to set an example they can follow and always to be there, with an open heart to answer any questions they may have. I also want to have the resources to lead them in the right direction when the time comes. So, I guess adding to my concerns is not only that my kids will grow healthy and strong, enjoying a relationship with our Lord, but that can I also be the parent they need me to be to help them along the way.

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

2 comments:

KC Baldwin said...

We're very similar in that those too are my worst fears for my boys. My husband believes in God but does not have a relationship with him {I'm praying for this all the time}, and I'm afraid that my boys will follow their father and have no real relationship with God either.

Unknown said...

Mama KC, it's def. a personal journey, but one in which I think prayer for others does help.